Thursday, 11 April 2013

Visor mounted in a hard hat for presentation

Heres some snapshots of what the project looks like in its final stage.  Wearable and slick looking, you can see through the visor with everything running, no problems.








Saturday, 23 March 2013

Spectrum Visualizer Demo

Here's a video showing the spectrum visualizer in action

The visualizer code is still being tweaked a bit to make it look nicer, but this video shows its basic operation as well as some more scrolling text just for fun




Thursday, 21 March 2013

Fully Completed Circuit Board and some switches






.

Friday, 15 March 2013

Scrolling code solved

The words are now scrolling the whole visor.

Sample of an extra animation that will be added to final product.  Behold, blinking eyes.


Some more tests. The paper wont be there in the end, it just makes it easier to see for now. We will be hopefully putting some tint in front of the lights.

Thursday, 7 March 2013

Some updates on the circuit board, just about every component has been soldered on and there are only a few resistors and capacitors are left for the spectrum analyzer circuit. Progress pictures below. The last pictures shows how the circuit board and the Arduino will come together.





A Few updates on the Visor. All of the LED's have been soldered in and wired. Two of the ribbon cables have also been soldered on for the first 10x8 block of LED's. Progress Pictures below.











Friday, 1 March 2013


The circuit board we designed has arrived. To the left is back of the board and the front of the board  is on the right. 


Painting of the LED's is finished, we have also started soldering it together. 

We have finished building the ear lights. Don't you worry though they will be covered so you wont be able to see the wires and resistors. (Below)




Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Blocking LED back-shine

Half-way point for painting the backs of the LED's.  The rubberized coating fully blocks the light emitted from the backs of the LED's to help the user see through the LED array with ease.

Sunday, 17 February 2013

The other 'sidelight' is finished and working.

Saturday, 16 February 2013







The main LED array is just about complete and one of the light accent light sections has been built wired and tested. There will be one on each side of the visor

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Complete scrolling text

Finally solved the code to take an input sentence and scroll it across the screen.  Heres a quick vid.  The camera gives it a shadow, but you can take that up with RIM.

Sunday, 10 February 2013

Scrolling text


Here's the first working scrolling text program, loaded onto our testing boards.  It scrolls "ABCD".

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

This is the machine that cut out our material

 Finished drilling 320 holes for the LED Array in the visor

Drilled some holes for the fan hardware and then continued to mount them.

Monday, 28 January 2013

The visor pieces are done. They were cut using a Water-Jet Cutting Machine. Next step is to drill the holes in the plastic piece for the LED's. 



Wednesday, 23 January 2013

A little program test with a few different coloured LED's.
Testing the Spectrum Analyser with different frequencies.

Spectrum Analyser on a breadboard.
Low frequency input
High frequency input


Testing the controls with two LED's, two pmos' and a darlington transistor.


We tested all the parts and everything worked fine. Building will start as soon as we get the visor material cut and PCB boards designed and printed.



Wednesday, 9 January 2013


The parts have arrived; LED's, switches, battery & charger,transistors, spectrum analyzers, Arduino Micro Controller, Fans, etc.


More to come soon.